Irrespective of who we are, we all love diamonds!
We dug up some interesting diamond facts and can’t wait to share them with you. So here they go!
35+ Facts About Diamonds
1. Diamond gets its name from the Greek word adamas which means indestructible.
2. Diamonds are measured in carats.
3. 1 carat diamond is 0.2 grams
4. In ancient Rome and Greece, people believed that diamonds were tears of Gods or splinters from falling stars.
5. Romans believed that diamonds adorned the tip of Cupid’s arrow.
6. Diamonds are made up of a single element - Carbon.
7. Diamonds are formed under intense heat and pressure under the surface of the earth.
8. Diamonds are the hardest known substance i.e. they get a whopping 10 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness.
9. Only a diamond can scratch another diamond.
10. Ancient Hindus adorned the eyes of devotional statues with diamonds.
11. They also believed that diamonds could save the wearer from danger and harm.
12. Those kings who believed that diamonds gave strength and courage to the wearer wore it as a part of their armour on the battlefield.
13. Diamonds were believed to have healing properties during the middle ages.
14. In 1477, Archduke Maxmillian of Austria gave Mary of Burgundy the first-ever diamond engagement ring.
15. India was the original source of diamonds in the 1100s.
16. Diamonds were used to engrave gemstones in India by 300 BC.
17. Ever-wondered how old are diamonds? Not much, just a billion years old!
18. Diamonds actually form 100 miles under the surface of the earth and only come to the surface by deep volcanic eruptions.
19. Diamond trading in India goes back as early as the fourth century BC.
20. Diamond is the birthstone of April.
21. Colourless diamonds are rare and expensive.
22. Diamonds are available in various colours like yellow, red, pink, orange, green, black, brown, etc.
23. A study reveals that 1.5million diamond nanoparticles are present in the flame of a diamond.
24. An uncut diamond is difficult to identify to the untrained eye.
25. 80% of diamonds mined are for industrial purposes.
26. 80% of all diamonds are said to be sold in New York City.
27. Diamonds can only be burned at a temperature of 1290-1650 degrees Fahrenheit.
28. It is said to be the most effective heat-conducting material.
29. 250 tons of the Earth is mined to produce a single carat of diamond.
30. The pressure of the atmosphere can only be endured by a diamond, thus, the atmosphere of the planet Venus was analysed via the diamond window of a spacecraft.
31. On average, every diamond loses most of its weight while cutting and polishing.
32. Cullinan diamond was the largest diamond to be discovered that weighed 3106 carats.
33. The Cullinan doesn’t exist wholly as of today, the three largest pieces of the Cullinan are on display in the Tower of London as part of the crown jewels.
34. Want to dig your diamond yourself? Head over to the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas - the only diamond mine open to the public.
35. Some diamonds are said to have come from outer space.
36. 55 Cancri e is a planet that's composed one-third of pure diamonds!
37. Scientists have discovered a star ‘Lucy’ of ten billion trillion trillion carats weight.
38. Many stars in the sky are said to have diamond cores.
Let’s go diamond shopping!
Disclaimer: All the facts mentioned above are sourced from the internet for the purpose of providing information and Candere/Candere.com/Kalyan Jewellers are not responsible for the authentication of these facts.
LoginTo enjoy a seamless experience while shopping
Do not have an account? Sign up
OTP VerificationA 6 digit OTP has been sent to